Friday, July 23, 2010

A PAINTING BY GAIL BEDELL-Workshop student

This is a painting of a sailboat by my friend Gail Bedell, who participated in one of the workshops we did in Boone, North Carolina this last week. I'm posting it here not only because I love it, but because it is a wonderful example of how little it takes to say the essential thing in a painting. No detail here, just the essentials. I asked her to stop the painting at this point because I thought there was nothing else to say. How often in our paintings do we try to say everything and we risk destroying the piece as a result? Here, you understand what the subject is without all the detail and with minimal brushstrokes. I was struck by the simplicity here, the color and exciting brushwork!
What else needs to be said! How beautiful just as it is????
Thank you Gail for your contribution here.....a lesson for us all!
Brian

1 comment:

  1. yes beautiful! the essential, I'm agree with you Brian. I love the white and red part!!!

    ReplyDelete

http://www.briansimons.com