Thursday, June 19, 2008

Something new

Hello my good fellow bloggers,

I am posting 2 of my four latest paintings that I have been reluctant to post. The reason being (as mentioned to Elliot) is that I find it harder to not hear anything at all, than to hear "I don't like it" I am a very keen student, and inlight of the fact that I would like to take as little time as possible to get from A to B I would like to propose a slightly new twist on this forum. Of course I only suggest this for my own work, as I don't pressume others feel the same way as I do. I trust that we all want to support our fellow painters, and we all want only the very best for them, so it is with this trust that I propose the following(Again for my paintings only, but anyone can feel free to adopt)

I would like it if you (as the viewer) would comment on three things that you don't like, aren't working, respond to negative, can't stand, make you want to throw up, think is amateur, looks unfinished, plain ugly, you get the idea. Don't hestitate to consider the delicate wording, it's a first response type of excersise. ( I am not my paintings so not to worry) Only then can you say something positive, and only one thing. Brian, as this is your blog, I hope you will set a fine example for those who follow. My hope in this excersise is to get some real feed back, not all dressed up. Start some diologue. I think one is just as vunerable posting their paintings as they are in giving honest remarks, but I also trust that you all want to see me improve. The unfortunate thing is I am leaving for a month, and until I get back these are the two I have (Mind you I could really put out the honesty barometer, with a few dogs I have deep in my pile) Let's see how this goes first. I'll save the dogs for another post!! For those that don't want to participate I completly understand. But for me life is too short. Thanks in advance!! Julie

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Julie for a courageous contribution to the blog. I am in agreement with your ideas here and ask all the contributors to view the blog as a forum for the artistic advancement of the those participating, and request that comments be offered in a spirit of constructive support for each painter. It tends to get a bit boring around here at times, and I too need a bit more honesty and frankness.

    If anyone is opposed to this, please post a comment so the contributors may appreciate the fact you don't wish to participate in this fashion.

    I participate in other blogs where I have seen painters grow immensely from the comments and advice of others, many in dramatic fashion. This is my hope for this blog too.

    A breath of fresh air Julie, thanks again. Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. I've said many times about my own paintings that I like a compliment but really value criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Brian and Elliot. I will consider this when commenting on your work.Please remeber it is always with the best of intentions. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Criticism is a way of learning. A chance to check yourself so I'm completely with you on this one Julie! How else would we blossom? x

    ReplyDelete

http://www.briansimons.com