Friday, January 02, 2009

18x24" acrylic. Even though I am a Christian, I never in a million years would have thought I'd even consider trying this... but a local church sponsored an unusual contest and for some reason it caught my attention. Partly, I was curious to see how this style would translate. Partly, I don't know that I've ever seen a contemporary painting depticting Jesus that I didn't find ridiculous. In the end, it was a fun exercise and I like the result. This is the baptism of Christ by John the Baptist. I'm sure there's room for improvement. C&C welcome.

5 comments:

  1. It's a free country here. You can paint what you want when you want Elliot!

    You can do better but If you like it what's the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elliot, I like this a lot, beautiful warm colors and I love how you only suggested the figures. A beautiful job here but one thing I think is an issue. The light pouring down on Jesus and John looks like a big V and doesn't read well for me. Maybe just by softening the edges of the v more and lightening it some around the figures will help. Pretty exciting piece here and the colors are just wonderful. Love your treatment of the trees too.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brian, I definitely agree with your thoughts on the hard V shape there. Upon a suggestion by Joanna, I worked on it a little before I posted but not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elliot. Happy New Year. I agree with Brian. Nice warm colours. It took me 3 tries to understand where the figures were, and what the "V" was. Good luck with it,I hope you post any revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife loves the colors and I agree with her! You really have a unique way with color. All that's missing here is a little technique like scumbling and dry brushing.

    ReplyDelete

http://www.briansimons.com